Parents' Guide to Babysitting
We cover everything parents need to know about babysitting.
Jump down to the categories below:
- Why hire a babysitter
- When to hire a babysitter
- How to find a babysitter
- What makes a good babysitter
- Babysitter interview tips
- How to vet babysitting candidates
- Babysitter pay
- Babysitting job expectations
- Special occasions
- Babysitting difficulties
- Babysitting admin and tax
Why hire a babysitter
In this section we look at what services babysitters typically provide, how they're different to other carers, and the many benefits your family can enjoy when hiring a babysitter.
- What is a babysitter?
- Benefits of hiring a babysitter
- Babysitter vs nanny
- 6 Things To Keep In Mind When Looking for a Babysitter
When to hire a babysitter
Every family is different and so are the requirements for hiring a babysitter. In this section, we explore the many factors that can influence when, and how often, you choose to hire a babysitter so you can have a better idea of what may be best for your family.
- How soon can you leave your baby with a babysitter?
- What age does a child stop needing a babysitter?
- What age can a child babysit siblings?
- How often should you use a babysitter?
- How many babies can a babysitter watch?
How to find a babysitter
Often the biggest challenge with hiring a babysitter is finding good candidates, to begin with. In this section, we reveal many secrets that you can use to attract the best local babysitters, we also explore alternatives to hiring babysitters that you may not have considered.
- How to find a reliable babysitter you can trust
- How to find local babysitters
- The best ways to hire a babysitter
- Can't find a babysitter? try our 14 sitter alternatives
- 29 Jobs for new mums who can't afford a babysitter
- How to find a babysitter for an autistic child
What makes a good babysitter
Finding a good babysitter is not an easy task, in this section, we highlight various qualities to look out for while you're gathering candidates for your open position. We also cover less commonly considered candidates such as male babysitters and answer commonly asked questions that parents have about them.
- 16 Signs of a good babysitter
- What to look for in a babysitter
- How old should an overnight babysitter be?
- Are male babysitters safe?
- Transgender babysitters: what you need to know
Babysitter interview tips
How you conduct your interview process is critical to identifying the most appropriate babysitter for your family. In this section, we run through a recommended babysitting interview format and provide tips and tricks that you can use to learn the most about your candidates. We also offer a huge list of good interview questions and how best to utilize them depending on your unique circumstances.
- How to interview a babysitter
- 43 Babysitter interview questions and what responses to look for
- Do you pay a babysitter for an interview?
How to vet babysitting candidates
Once you have a shortlist of the best babysitters you can find, the next step is to vet them further to make sure they are who they say they are and the skills and qualifications they claim to have are valid. Follow our guides on checking babysitter references and running background checks.
One of the most common questions parents have about babysitting is how much they should pay their sitter. In this section, we look at the many factors that influence babysitter pay including your geographic location, age and experience of the sitter, age and number of children, and specific job requirements.
- Babysitter pay rates
- Should you tip a babysitter?
- How much to pay a babysitter for a weekend?
- Is daycare cheaper than a nanny?
Babysitting job expectations
Babysitting jobs come with a lot of expectations from both sides, in this section we look at the common things that babysitters and parents anticipate and how good communication is critical to maintaining a good working relationship where everyone knows what is expected of them.
- How to prepare for your first babysitter
- What info do you leave for a babysitter?
- 19 Babysitter rules all parents should enforce
- Do you provide dinner for your babysitter?
- Do babysitters wash dishes?
- 15 things babysitters wish parents would stop doing
There are several key dates and events throughout the year when babysitters are in hot demand, read our guides below to give you an advantage over other families who are competing with you for the best babysitters.
- New Year's Eve babysitting
- Valentine's Day babysitting
- Vacation babysitters
- What to give a babysitter for Christmas
- 37 babysitter pranks
Babysitting is not always easy for sitters or parents but it should always be safe. In this section, we reveal some key warning signs that you should be looking out for to ensure that your kids are safe and being lovingly looked after whenever you're away. We also discuss the things you can, and cannot do if you suspect something may be wrong.
- Separation anxiety tips for parents
- Warning signs of a bad babysitter
- What to do about a spanking babysitter
- Is it legal to record a babysitter
- Can my babysitter sue me?
- Can you sue a babysitter?
- How to fire a babysitter politely
Babysitting admin and tax
Hiring a babysitter comes with extra responsibilities and duties because you are an employer. In this section, we discuss the various admin tasks that may be asked of you such as writing babysitting references for past employees and we also cover how this can affect your tax.
Find a Sitter
The Perfect Gift For Your Babysitter
My book, Babysitting Business Secrets, is out now as an inexpensive ebook or full-color paperback. If your babysitter is serious about becoming the best sitter they can be, then this book is perfect for them. I reveal all my tricks and tips for first-time babysitters or experienced sitters who just want to up their game. Get your copy today!
- Matthew Taylor, Kidsit Founder